Monday, October 10, 2011

Fungism: Tai Ching Cho Di!

My mother has an expression, which in Cantonese sounds like, "Tai Ching Cho Di!" It translates to simply, "Look more carefully!" That's the one piece of advice she gives in matters of dating, finding love and getting married. My dad, evidently, has realized how lucky he is that my mom wasn't so good at applying that advice to herself thirty-two years ago. In an email he sent to me and my brother dated April 20, 2009, he reflects on my mom's favorite phrase. I really love it on so many levels.


Hi Kids,

A sudden heart-felt sympathy descended on me when I passed by Home Depot and saw dozens of Amigos gathering at the car park looking for work.

Thirty years ago, I was in the same situation: no money, no job, no car, living with my brother in San Mateo. My situation was even worse because my student visa would expire in June. I could not stay because Immigration knew where to fetch me, while the Amigos with illegal status could just disappear into downtown San Jose. Man! I was in real dire strait! But I did not feel that bad because I was a happy-go-lucky disco jerk.

Luckily, a princess came to my rescue and saved me from this vicious circle. Otherwise, you guys were nowhere to be found. This makes me think that I must be an attractive sexy young man of great character. So I have to treat mom nicely by pushing less buttons everyday.

Anyways, whenever you find an attractive friend, remember to Tai Ching Cho Di !

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment