Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Revolution in the Genes

Today marks the 100 year anniversary of the Xinhai Revolution, which brought about the collapse of the last imperial dynasty in China. When I started getting involved in student protests at the University of California two years ago, my dad first told me that I have an ancestor who was prominently involved in the Xinhai Revolution. It seems only appropriate that I revisit that history today, not only because of the anniversary, but also because of the exciting spread of activism happening right now. (I'm getting involved in Occupy Boston.)

In an email dated September 19, 2009, my dad wrote:



Hi Prof,

I remember you have some revolutionary genes. Your great grandpa was a revolutionary. He helped organize the Chinese Republican Revolution in the south against the Ching Dynasty around 1905. The revolution succeeded in 1911 when China became a republic. But then the Nationalist Party (mom's party) became the dominant party with no checks on their corruption. Then came two world wars until the Communist Party took over in 1949. That was one of the darkest pages in Chinese history.

Your great grandpa's name is Wong Wai Yin. He is the father of my mom Wong Po Ching. He used to live in Canton. When the Ching government went after him, he fled to Vietnam where he married a third wife of Chinese origin (how nice!) who gave birth to only one daughter, who is my mom. He shuttled between Saigon and Canton many times. In Canton, two wives took care of him and provided shelter (how nice!). Uncle Gerard's father was the only son of his first wife. The second wife had no kids but was said to be very beautiful. He had written some nice poems to describe the second one. He also wrote something about the third for her ability to make plenty of money. I saw the writings when I was small but no trace could be found now. I don't know what kind of business he did but he obviously could afford three (maybe with help from the third one). How jealous am I! And how I want to become a revolutionary!

The revolutionary gene definitely comes from my mother's side. My mom is a small gentle woman so the gene was suppressed. It might have bloomed in me when I was a sexy young man at age 20 in Berkeley. But I was too busy to get out to make money. Now it's too late because I even want to make more money. I am afraid that the gene has the urge to explode through you like a volcano.

In addition, the Fung family carries the destructive anarchy/anti-authority gene that is obvious in both Yeye and me, and you guys too. The anarchy gene provides the twisted mentality and attitude, while the revolutionary gene provides the physical urge for action. I think this is a real deadly combination, especially exhibited in a female. Look at all the Fung females! I just hope that mom's obedience genes can provide some checks and balances. Else, I don't know what to do with you but pray only.

Furthermore, do not pollute Cynthia and Philip with your call for action. They've inherited these kinds of destructive genes through my sister. These genes may be dornant now subject to agitation. I don't want you to be the agitator.

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment