Friday, October 14, 2011

My Mom Loves Me. Really.

I have, like, eight friends who are pregnant right now. So babies have been on the mind. My mantra used to be, "Babies = Death," but maybe because I've been around so many of them lately, or maybe because my "clock" has skipped forward a notch since turning 30, I've started to warm up to the idea of having kids someday. The thought still terrifies me, though. I already feel like I don't have enough hours or energy in a day to do all the things I want to do. I like that I can go to work, go to Taekwondo class, volunteer in the community, find things to do spontaneously, sit down and read a book, spend an absurd amount of time painting my toenails. I've witnessed how kids have completely overhauled my friends' lives, and frankly, I don't envy them for a second. But the thing is, I don't want to wake up one day and wish that I had kids when it's too late.

I was talking to my mom about babies on the phone the other night. When it comes to advising me about how to plan my life, she's on the fence about this particular issue. She definitely wants grandkids, and she has a hard time picturing a life that doesn't entail being settled down with a husband and kids. But she has never recommended her own life choices for me and envies my freedom. Here was one portion of our conversation.

Me: I'm so glad I don't have babies right now. I really like my life.

Mom: Yes, you are very lucky.

Me: Babies ruin everything. They make your life terrible.

Mom: Yes, they really do.

Me: Did I ruin your life?

Mom: Why do you think I look so old?


END.

No comments:

Post a Comment